Friday, July 6, 2012

Marriage in Indonesia - for Australian citizen

Updated 3 November 2016

Marriage in Indonesia

This information sheet sets out procedures for getting married in Indonesia under Indonesian Law through a Minister of Religion or the Civil Registry. The Australian Attorney-General on 7 September 1994 revoked, from 1 January 1995, all appointments of marriage officers at Australian Missions Overseas, so that consular officers may no longer marry Australians outside Australia. Australians will continue to be able to marry overseas, but according to the laws of the country in which the marriage takes place.


Getting Married under Indonesian Law

Generally, Indonesian nationals, and persons of any other nationality may marry in Indonesia provided they hold a religion recognised by the Indonesian Government (Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, or Christian Catholic/Protestant). Under the Indonesian Marriage Law marriages may be performed by Ministers of Religion, officers of the Kantor Catatan Sipil (Civil Registry Office), or the Kantor Urusan Agama (Office of Religious Affairs). For a marriage to be legal, it must be conducted according to the religion, and conform to the laws of the countries of the parties involved.
A broad outline of the Australian Legal position on the Recognition of Foreign Marriages is provided further on. If more detailed information is required, citizens should consult a private solicitor or legal aid body.
In order for an Australian citizen to marry in Indonesia, it is necessary to make an application for a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage at the Australian Embassy in Jakarta or at the Australian Consulate-General in Denpasar. Application forms are available from the Consular Counter at both of these offices or on the Smartraveller website at
To obtain a Certificate you need to:
  • Make an appointment at least ONE work day prior to apply in person at the Embassy or Consulate-General during office hours
  • sign an application form in front of a Consular Officer (applicable only to the Australian National)
  • show the original passports of both parties as proof of identity
  • provide original proof of dissolution of marriage / marriages from both parties (if any)
In most cases the Certificate can be issued while you wait.
It is preferable that applicants applying for a Certificate from the Embassy in Jakarta do so in person. If this is not possible applications may be processed via post, however the application form must be signed before a person authorised to witness Statutory Declarations (including, in Indonesia, an Indonesian Public Notary). Please contact the Consular Section at for further details on how to apply via post or registered mail.
Please note that posted applications will not be accepted at the Australian Consulate-General in Denpasar. All applications for Certificates made at this office must be in person.
The fee, payable in Indonesian Rupiah, is based on the exchange rate at the time the Application for a Certificate of No Impediment is lodged. The present schedule/range of fees are:

Certificate of No Impediment: $A90 (Payable in IDR only, IDR amount is converted monthly)

Please note that the Rupiah equivalent of the Australian Dollar fees is subject to change on the 1st day of every month in accordance to the exchange rate at that time.
The information below is provided as an overall guide on getting married in Indonesia. It is not the responsibility of consular staff to provide specific advice on marriage requirements. Australians seeking to get married in Indonesia should clarify current requirements either directly with the Indonesian Civil Registry Office (Catatan Sipil) in the area where they intend to get married or by engaging the services of a Wedding Organiser.
The parties to the marriage will need to make their own arrangements with the local religious minister and/or the civil registry celebrants and are advised to seek confirmation of the exact requirements in their particular circumstances. In addition, partners would be advised to discuss with their lawyer in Australia and/or Indonesia any other steps which need to be taken, especially, but not only if, they intend to reside in a country other than Australia, or if they wish to hold property separately.


Couples must be of the same religion

Under Law No.1 of 1974 concerning marriage (the ‘Marriage Law’), both parties must hold the same religion, if not, one party must convert to the other religion. Anecdotal evidence suggests that the process of converting to Islam is not a lengthy one. To start the process, speak with the Imam at the local mosque.


Islamic Weddings

Moslem weddings are performed by the Kantor Urusan Agama (KUA) at a mosque, private home, etc, which issues Marriage Books (Buku Nikah) as evidence of the marriage. There is usually no requirement for people to register such a marriage with the Catatan Sipil. However, if you may move to another country, it is recommended that you arrange for a Marriage Certificate just in case it is needed.


Other Weddings

For non-Moslem marriages (Christian, Hindu, etc), couples have to lodge a Notice of Intention to Marry with the Catatan Sipil at least 10 days prior to the wedding. After the ceremony in the church, temple, garden, etc, the marriage must be registered at the Catatan Sipil office to be legal. Both applicants will need the originals and a photocopy of: the Certificate from the Embassy or Consulate-General, passports or KTP, birth certificates, marriage certificate, proof of dissolution of previous marriage (if applicable), four photos (4x6cm) of the couple. As requirements can vary from province to province it would be prudent to check with Catatan Sipil first.

It can be difficult for Australian and other foreign nationals without Indonesian language skills to liaise with the Catatan Sipil and religious celebrants. Unfortunately, the Embassy and Consulate-General does not have the resources to assist in making arrangements for local marriages. We suggest that you engage the services of a Wedding Organiser if you are unsure.

Recognition of Foreign Marriages in Australia
The following information on the Australian Legal Position on the recognition of foreign marriages was compiled by the Attorney General\'s Department in November 1992:

On 7 April 1986 new rules came into force in Australia for the legal recognition of marriages which have taken place overseas. In addition, the rules about marriage in Australia of people whose legal home (domicile) is overseas has also been changed. The purpose of this document is to explain the general principles behind the new rules, for the benefit of those who may want to find out the usual rules applying to their situation, or who may want to advise others.

It should be noted, however, that this document only gives a broad outline of the relevant law. In Particular, as mentioned below, a marriage not recognised under the new rule may be regarded as valid under the rules of common law. For detailed advice on these matters members of the public should consult a private solicitor or legal aid body.


The Basis for the Rules

The rules governing whether or not a marriage is valid under Australian law are to be found in the Commonwealth Marriage Act 1961 (\'the Act\'). Until recently the rules governing recognition of overseas marriages were primarily to be found in the \'common law\' - that body of legal rules developed by judges over the years and inherited by Australia from the United Kingdom.

In 1976 a group of nations met and drew up a new international regime for the recognition in one country of marriages solemnised elsewhere. This was embodied in the Hague Convention on the Celebration and Recognition of Marriages. On 7 April 1986 the Commonwealth Parliament enacted the Marriage Amendment Act 1985 in order to implement the rules contained in this Hague Convention. They apply, however, to all marriages solemnised outside Australia, even if they took place before that date.


Marriages outside Australia under Foreign Law

Part 5a. of the Act contains the rules for recognition of marriages entered into outside Australia under Foreign laws. The basic rule adopted is that, if the marriage was recognised as valid under the law of the country in which it was entered into, at the time when it was entered into, the marriage will be recognised in Australia as a valid marriage unless one of the exceptions mentioned below is applicable.


Exceptions to recognition of foreign marriages

While designed to remove all technical barriers to recognition of marriages celebrated elsewhere, the Hague Convention acknowledges the strong interest many countries have in refusing to recognise certain marriages. Australia, in adopting the convention rules, has also set out certain exceptions to recognition based on its policy.
The following marriages will not be recognised under the new rules; where one of the parties was already married to someone else; where one of the parties was under marriageable age; where the parties are too closely related under Australian law - that is either as ancestor, descendant, brother or sister, including half-brother and half-sister, and whether the relationship is natural or by adoption; where the consent of one of the parties was not a real consent due to duress or fraud, mistake, or mental incapacity.


Marriageable age

In the case of a marriage solemnised on or after 1 August 1992, where one or both of the parties was, at the time of marriage, domiciled in Australia, the marriage will not be recognised in Australia if either of the parties was not at least 18 years old at the time of the marriage. Where neither of the parties was domiciled in Australia at the time of the marriage, the marriage will not be recognised as valid at any time while either party is under the age of 16 years.

In the case of a marriage solemnised before 1 August 1991, where one or both of the parties was, at the time of the marriage, domiciled in Australia, the marriage will not be recognised in Australia if the female was not at least 16 years old and the male was not at least 18 years old at the time of the marriage. Neither party will not be recognised as valid at any time if the female is under the age of 14 years or the male is under the age of 16 years.

Despite the above exception, a marriage which falls into one of those categories may nevertheless be recognised as valid in Australia. This is because the rules of common law may still operate where they would lead to recognition of a marriage as valid. It is recommended that anyone whose marriage falls into the above exceptions should seek detailed legal advice on the operation of the common law.


Frequently asked Questions

  • Can I marry at the Embassy/Consulate-General? NO
  • How long does it take to issue a CNI? Usually while you wait provided the documentation presented are correct and complete.
  • Will my marriage be recognised in Australia? YES, since 1 January 1995 any legally performed marriage in an overseas country, which would have been legal had it been performed in Australia, is accepted as a legal marriage under Australian Law.
  • Do I need to register the marriage with the Embassy/Consulate-General? NO
  • Do I need to register the marriage in Australia? NO, you can not register an overseas marriage in Australia.
  • Can I marry before my divorce decree absolute is issued? NO

Contact details for the Embassy in Jakarta:
Consular Section
Australian Embassy
Jalan Patra Kuningan Raya Kav. 1-4
Jakarta Selatan 12950
Ph: +62 21 25505500
Fax: +62 21 25505499
Public Hours of Consular Counter: Mon - Fri 08.00 - 12.00, 13.00 - 16.00
Please do not hesitate to seek further advice from the Consular Section of the Embassy.

Contact details for the Australian Consulate-General in Denpasar:
Consular Section
Australian Consulate-General
Jl Tantular
Renon, Denpasar – Bali 80234
Ph: +62 361 2000 100
Public Hours of Consular Counter: Monday 1.00pm - 4.00pm
Tuesday 8.30am - 12.00pm and 1.00pm – 4.00pm
Thursday 8.30am - 12.00pm and 1.00pm – 4.00pm
Friday 8.30am - 12.00pm

While every care has been taken in preparing this information, neither the Australian Government nor its agents or employees, including any member of the Embassy\'s consular staff, can accept liability for any injury, loss or damage arising in respect of the information contained herein.

sumber :


  1. apakah suami ibu juga Australian?
    mohon infonya pengurusan dokumen suami, apa aja yang harus dipersiapkan dari australia sampai ke indonesia


    1. Dibaca disini ya :

  2. Assalamu'alaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh. Saya Ani dari Padang, Sumatra Barat.In Shaa ALLAH akhir bulan ini saya berencana menikah dengan WN Aussie.Calon suami saya hanya bisa berada di Indonesia selama 8 hari,karena dia kerja di Aussie.Mohon bantuan dan Do'a Mbak.Status saya single tapi dia duda. Dia udah ngirim akte cerai, CNI dari daerah asalnya di Aussie dan Akte Kelahiran (*semua dokumen/papers berbahasa Inggris).Saya mau nanya dokumen apa saja yang harus diterjemahkan ke Bahasa Indonesia selain Akte kelahiran dan akte cerai apakah passport dan VOA nya juga harus diterjemahkan ke Bahasa Indonesia? In Shaa ALLAH minggu depan kami berencana ke KEDUBES Australia di Jakarta buat ngurus CNI. Kelurahan dan KUA disini kurang ngerti prosedur menikah dengan WNA, bahkan dalam kunjungan singkat calon suami bulan Mei kemarin kami udah nanya-nanya ke KUA (tanpa dokumen apapun karena emang niatnya buat dapat info aja) tapi bulan July kemarin saya bawa dokumen yang dikirim dari Aussie kata pegawai KUA dokumen yang kurang cuma CNI dari Embassy dan gak perlu translate dokumen lainnya ke Bahasa Indonesia (*Saya baca diblog Mbak yang sangat membantu dan bermanfaat ini, dokumen lain selain CNI juga harus di translate). Mbak, saya mohon jawaban secepatnya. Saya mohon maaf kalo ada kata-kata yang tidak pada tempatnya. Terima kasih.

    1. Waalaikum salam wr wb.
      Terjemahan yang dibutuhkan KUA hanya akte lahir dan akta cerai suami saja.
      Silahkan baca di link ini ya :

      semoga membantu.

  3. Terima kasih Mbak atas jawabannya. Pernikahan saya akhirnya ditunda hingga Januari 2014. Hal ini disebabkan satu dan lain hal. Mbak, Saya mohon do'anya :) . Mbak saya mohon infonya tentang penerjemah tersumpah yang diakui oleh KEDUBES Australia buat nerjemahin dokumen seperti : Birth certificate, Dissolution married certificate, Prenuptial Agreement, dll. (* Maksud saya nerjemahin dari Bahasa Inggris ke Bahasa Indonesia dan dari Bahasa Indonesia ke Bahasa Inggris). Maaf Mbak mohon infonya tentang Notaris yang bagus dan diakui KEDUBES AUSTRALIA buat bikin Prenuptial Agreement. Menurut informasi yang saya dapat Notaris di Jakarta biayanya minimal RP. 20.000.000 buat bikin prenuptial Agreement, bener gak Mbak?. In Shaa ALLAH saya ngurus sendiri semuanya gak pake agent. Saya sangat menunggu jawaban Mbak :) Terima kasih

    1. Hallo,

      Kalau untuk tujuan pernikahan dokumen yang di translate ke Bhs Indonesia adalah untuk diserahkan ke KUA/Catatan sipil, jadi tidak perlu penerjemah yang diakui oleh kedubes Australia, cukup penerjemah yang disumpah.

      Kecuali untuk keperluan applikasi visa Australia :
      TRANSLATOR diharuskan menggunakan NAATI certified translator, listnya klik disini :

      NOTARIS (untuk urusan visa) boleh public notary dimana saja di Indonesia, atau bisa pakai Australian Public Servant (imigrasi) di Kedutaan Australia Jakarta.

      Jasa notarie untuk buat Prenup vartiatif, coba google dan tanya by phone satu persatu untuk perbandingan.

      Semoga membantu ya.

    2. Hallo,

      Mbak terima kasih atas perhatian dan infonya.Saya sangat terbantu atas Info- info yang saya dapat dari blog Mbak ini. Mbak Bisa gak apply spouse visa sebelum Nikah? Saya pengennya ntar sesudah Nikah ( In Shaa ALLAH January 2014) langsung ikut calon suami ke Aussie. Biaya spouse visa Aussie Rp. 33.000.000 itu beneran gak Mbak? Saya rencananya ngurus sendiri gak pake agent.

      Terima kasih.

    3. Hallo..
      Spouse visa subclass 309/100 untuk De jure relatioship (menikah), dan De facto relationship. Mengajukan spouse visa berdasarkan De jure relationship kamu harus sudah menikah.
      Mengajukan spouse visa berdasarkan De facto relationship kamu harus sudah tinggal bersama pasangan paling sedikit 12 bulan (hal ini di Indo tidak umum).
      Untuk mengajukan aplikasi salah satu dari 2 cara tersebut, kamu harus mengajukan bukti2 antara lain : harus ada akta nikah (de Jure), membuktikan bahwa kalian berdua tinggal di alamat yang sama, tagihan listrik/telpon/internet atas nama berdua, poto2 berdua dan bersama teman2 dan anggota keluarga kedua belah pihak, etc, etc (banyak banget sist persyaratannya).
      Untuk case kamu lebih tepat mengajukan subclass 300 (Prospective marriage visa). Biaya dan cara apply serta persayaratannya silahkan baca di link dibawah ini : => lihat halaman 25 di link ini.

      Semoga membantu.

    4. Terima kasih Mbak atas informasinya :).

  4. Mba eny...untuk membuat CNI apakah dokumen calon suami yg wna harus ditranlate ke dalam bahasa indonesia? Mohon jawabannya, terimakasih

    1. hai,
      dokumen tidak perlu ditranslate. bawa dokumen asli dan siapkan copy.


  5. Halo mbak eny.. Saya sudah 2mingguan mempelajari blog mbak enny mengenai pernikahan dg WNA Australia. Pertanyaan saya.. Apakah saya harus mendaftarkan ke catatan sipil lagi setelah saya menikah di KUA dan mendapatkan buku nikah? Saya berencana tinggal di negara suami di Australia. Apakah buku nikah sudah menjadi bukti kuat pernikahan kami apabila saya ingin mengajukan partner visa? Tentunya kami akan melampirkan dokumen lain yg menguatkan. Tlg dibantu. Thanks

    1. Hallo Yoanita,

      Thaks sudah berkunjung ke blog saya.
      Pernikahan secara legal di KUA tidak perlu lagi didaftarkan di catatan sipil.
      Buku nikah sudah menjadi certificate resmi untuk apply partner visa subclass 309/100.

      Semoga bisa membantu ya.


  6. halo mbak Eny, mau tanya, appointment dengan Australia Embassy itu memang dijawab oleh mesin penjawab saja ya? Trus kita tinggalin pesan gitu saja mau appointment? Terus kita yang tentuin hari dan jamnya? Jadi setelah telepon, besok atau lusa langsung datang saja ke Embassy tanpa ada konfirmasi dari mereka? Mohon penjelasannya ya. Terima kasih.

    1. hallo.
      ada officernya yang jawab, nanti ditanya kapan mau datangnya, dan dikonfirmasi lagi dokumen yg harus dibawa.


    2. Halo mbak Eny,

      saya sudah coba menghubungi beberapa kali ke sana saat jam kerja sesuai dengan nomor yang ada di blog mbak Eny, tetapi dijawab oleh mesin penjawab terus dan diminta meninggalkan pesan.

      Ini nomor yang saya peroleh dari blog mbak Eny di atas :
      Contact details for the Embassy: 
      Consular Section 
      Australian Embassy 
      Jl H.R Rasuna Said Kav C15-16 
      JAKARTA 12940 
      Ph: 021 25505500 
      Fax: 021 25505499

      Public Hours of Consular Counter: Mon - Fri 08.00 - 12.00, 13.00 - 16.00

    3. halo mbak Eny, saya baru coba lagi pagi ini. Sudah ada yang angkat telp. Terima kasih banyak infonya ya. Sangat bermanfaat.


  7. Hi mbak Eny.. Suami saya British dan kami menikah di Singapura tahun lalu. Saya ingin bikin KITAS untuk suami dengan sponsor istri. Saya berdomisili di Batam dan suami bekerja di Singapura (ngantor) 2 hari dalam seminggu dan selebihnya bekerja dari rumah (BATAM). Saya sudah mencoba apply VITAS online tapi sudah 5kali di tolak dengan alasan : Lampirkan akta nikah DUK CAPIL. Sementara saya menikah tidak di Indonesia, akan tetapi saya sudah lampirkan pendaftaran pernikahan saya di KBRI Singapura dan pendaftaran pernikahan di DISDUK setempat (BATAM). Bukti pendaftaran pernikahan dari Disduk setempat hanya berupa stiker berukuran 10cm x 10cm yang ditempelkan di belakang akta pendaftaran pernikahan saya dari KBRI singapura (tetap saya lampirkan sisi tersebut), dan masih juga di tolak dengan alasan serupa. Saya stress banget jadinya mba sementara tiap minggu suami bolak balik Batam- Singapura dan tiap kali masuk pake VOA lembar demi lembar di Stamp imigrasi bikin cepat habis halaman pasport suami. Jadi saya berencana mau langsung datang ke Jakarta untuk apply langsung walaupun saya sama sekali gak ngerti jakarta, tapi dari pada pake agent yang belasan juta. Pertanyaan saya step-step apa yang harus saya persiapkan dan lakukan? mengingat saya sendiri dari Batam dan tidak punya sanak saudara sehingga akomodasi hrs saya pikirkan untuk tidak membuang waktu di JKT, dan pada pengisian pekerjaan suami apa saya isi dengan sebenarnya? (apa tidak akan jadi masalah?) lalu apa yang harus saya isi pada pengisian pekerjaan saya? saya hanya ibu rumah tangga. lalu berapa kali saya harus datang ke JKT nya? saya bener-bener blank dan butuh bantuan mba Eny, semoga bersedia membantu saya dengan memberikan pencerahan.. Terimakasih banyak mba Eny.
    Wasallam.. Iren

    1. Hi Iren,

      Coba cek apakah ukuran file akta nikah dan bukti pendaftaran dukcapil yg di appload sdh sesuai?
      Pekerjaan suami diisi yang sebenarnya. Begitu juga status pekerjaan istri (ibu rumah tangga) diisi dengan sebenarnya.

      Teman-teman pembaca, terutama yang baru sukses apply vitas, mohon bantuannya apabila ada info tambahan atau trik2 apply online Vitas, supaya Vitas suaminya Iren sukses juga.


  8. Australian Immigration Agency (AIA) provide professional advice to onshore and offshore applicants both temporary and permanent residency visa applications. Modify by hungphongbkPartner Visa Australia